The McKean County Conservation District was organized at the request of county residents. The Conservation District was established by the board of County Commissioners on August 19, 1959, according to provisions of the Soil Conservation Law of 1945, Act 217 of the General Assembly, as amended. The primary goal of the District is the development, improvement and conservation of the county's soil, water, and related resources as well as educating the community in various conservation and environmental practices and methods.
The District is administered by a Board of seven Directors- three farmer members, three public (non-farmer) members and one County Commissioner. District Directors are appointed by the County Commissioners from a list of names submitted by countywide nominating organizations. The Commissioners also designate one of the members to serve as a Director. Associate Directors are conservation-minded volunteers from the community who participate in Board Meetings and Committee work, but are not voting Directors.
County Nominating Organizations
Penn State Extension
USDA Farm Service Agency
Association of Township Officials
McKean/Potter Farmer's Association
Upper Allegheny Watershed Association
McKean County Conservation District
CONSERVING NATURAL RESOURCES FOR OUR FUTURE